Thursday 26 February 2009

Knittig, London and Thinking

Not much knitting going on as my hands are not too good at the moment. Probably shouldn't be typing much either come to think of it... I have been thinking about designs tho'. Trying to figure out a mitred, cable edged cardigan with a hood with as little sewing up as possible. Ended up in the cafe across the road having a coffee not long after I got to work as there was a fire alarm. Also, someone has taken my mug out of the kitchen. The one I have had since the sixth form common room and has been my coffee mug at every job ever since. Grrr. Anyway, was working on the design in the coffee shop for ages which made me feel better. I think I am getting there but need to look at some EZ stuff and Elsbeth Lavold / Alice Starmore and how to make cables go around corners.

Got my prize from Knitting magazine yesterday, three books, hot water bottle covers, socks and Natural Knits for Children (I think that is what is was called) So glad they were ones I didn't already have :) Also, a cheque for £40 which I may just end up spending at Get Knitted. Who knew? heh heh

Went to London at the weekend and went to Liberty's. Twice. On my own on the Friday, and bumped into a friend from Bristol - rather bizarrely... then again on the Saturday with my neice Holly who is 7. In the fabric/yarn section (so lush...swoon) she said in loud voice ' that lady can't knit as fast as you aunty Emma' . Oh dear. I explained that she was knitting something quite complicated so that slows you down. I then spent quite a bit of money and spotted a cardigan from the Rowan British sheep breeds book which is rather nice. Bought a ball of pale grey to try with a pack of odd buttons I also bought. This will be a neck warmer although at this rate it will be way too hot to wear it when I get as far as making it!

I also went to Prick Your Finger in Bethnal Green, partly to see Fragiletender's pin installation but also to see the shop. It was lovely, bought some purple handspun for my big purple flowers cardigan and also some Wensleydale longwool. I definately recommend a trip to see the shop. and to see the pin installation if it comes near to you.

Apart from that some friends of ours had a baby 2 weeks early this week and son no. 1 announced that he is moving out. Which is weird as I feel this will be for real this time. I realised today that the reason I have been feeling so fidgety lately is because since I have changed jobs (office on my own, not many people to see, phone doesn't ring much) , OH has been promoted (working longer hours and more preoccupied with it), boys not around much at home, all my friends having babies (don't come out much any more lol) I hardly see anybody at all. I think I am getting a bit lonely! That sounds a bit strange but I think it is true. I will have to think a bit harder about my social life from now on as I will have to create it rather than it happening to me as a side effect of my job etc.

Must stop typing now as hands complaining and there is work calling my name!!!

1 comment:

Shani said...

loving the insight into your world... and the pin installation? hadn't heard about that, but love Fragile Tender's work, so will go and investigate...

hugs
Shani