Tuesday 5 January 2010

Snow and cables without a cable needle

Ok, like everyone else I will also mention snow, we are probably the last place in UK to get it as Bristol doesn't really get much weather. I really do think though that it is actually winter, cold weather happens in winter and there are probably more important things going on in the world than bad weather in one small island. Get lives people!!!

This week I have learnt how to do cables without a cable needle - hurrah! From a tutorial in, of all things, The Knitter magazine. I was in two minds whether or not to cancel the sub for this mag as I find the patterns rather boring. Well, boring is not strictly what I mean, samey might be a better term. It might be because they use a rather narrow set of designers and so the pattern selections are rather predictable , one of the things that makes Yarn Forward so good is that they have many designers and you never know what you will see in there. The Knitter does have some good articles in it tho so I think I will persevere with it for a bit. Simply Knitting has definitely got to go tho!!!

The cabling without the cable needle is really easy, I have tried it before and couldn't get my head around it but now it seems obvious. I am going to make the whole of Fearn's new cable jacket with no cable needle so it becomes entrenched for ever more in my knitting brain.

Am progressing with the Baltic Sea Stole, did 15 rows yesterday. I was knitting with a big headache tho and with one of those headache patches on my forehead. Now I do swear by these but the menthol vapour gets in your eyes a bit which is not great late at night when squinting at your pattern, worrying about running out of yarn and whether there is any more in the shop and of course having a headache. I have had this headache since Sunday, you can go now if you don't mind...

Yesterday when I was in work it was very quiet, hardly anyone about, no lights on, that kind of thing. A bit spooky and Marie Celeste like. Today they all had a good laugh as I discovered that it was in fact a day off in lieu of a bank holiday. Needless to say I am not coming in tomorrow...

No comments: